|St Mary’s Church, Chidham
This attractive Early English church is dedicated to St Mary.
It is probable that there was a wooden Saxon church on the site, predating the existing structure of St Mary’s Church.
In the Domesday book, the prebend of Chidham, linked to the College of Bosham came under the Diocese of Exeter, and did so until the reformation. The gift of the living has been in the hands of the Bishop of Chichester since 1902.The nave and chancel of the existing structure were built in the latter half of the the 13th century.
The first known Vicar is Andrew Prous, referred to as the “Vicar of Cheddeham” in 1261. The Church registers begin in 1652.
Memorials include memorials to members of the Bickley family who were Lords of the Manor from the Reformation until 1750.
|The north aisle, the Chapel of St Cuthman, was added in the 14th century. It was restored and rededicated in 1925 as a memorial to those who fell in the 1914 -18 war.
It is now used as an area where younger people sit together to participate in Sunday worship.
A new stained glass window was installed in the chapel in 2010 (see above)
|There were three bells in 1857, and these bells which may have dated from the 16th century were probably recast in 1864.
There are now two bells in the belfry.
|The stone font, thought to be early medieval or possibly Saxon, was recovered from under the nave during restoration work in 1864 and may have come from an earlier Saxon building.
The font is topped by a piece of decorative painted wrought iron work in the art nouveau style. It was recovered from the Churchyard, where it may have been placed for safe-keeping during the war, and repainted in the original colours.